Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Moving from an apt-get (Ubunto) install to Pybomb

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Moving from an apt-get (Ubunto) install to Pybombs
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 18:25:23 -0400

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Greg,

pybombs is pretty safe. It will only install stuff that successfully builds, so the chance that you wreck your installation are small, even if you decide to install stuff into /usr/local. However, you can also instruct pybombs to only install into  /home/greg/prefix (or any other directory of your choice), which will leave your whole system untouched. You delete /home/greg/prefix, and everything pybombs did will be undone :)

You should indeed uninstall GNU Radio if you have already installed it, but you don't have to -- the prefix method will work, nevertheless.
Pybombs will only need root privileges to install missing libraries from the Ubuntu archives.
Warning: If you plan to use Ettus USRPs, please make sure you *don't* have Ubuntu's uhd*, libuhd* or uhd-host packages installed; these range from old to archaeologically interesting.

Best regards,
Marcus

I'd be a bit stronger than Marcus here and recommend that you definitely remove any previous installations of GNU Radio. If you've gotten it through apt-get, then use apt-get to uninstall (and might as well purge) to make sure you get it all and so apt-get isn't confused about anything that you've removed by hand.

While Marcus is right that the environmental setup from PyBOMBS will provide a nice separation of everything, we still see a lot of problems with double installs of GNU Radio, especially when they are installed into /usr.

Tom