[Discuss-gnuradio] Announcing cgran.org: Re-launching the Comprehensive

From: West, Nathan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Announcing cgran.org: Re-launching the Comprehensive GNU Radio Archive Network
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:52:43 -0500

Hi all,

I am happy to be able to announce that the Comprehensive GNU Radio Archive Network (CGRAN) is now live at http://cgran.org. It's a bit different from the previous version.

Some notes:

1) The primary purpose of this rendition of CGRAN is to provide a place to filter and sort through the growing number of OOT modules that meet your needs.

2) If you want to add a bookmark to jump to project listings the best URL is cgran.org/projects/

3) No code is hosted by CGRAN. If you need a place to host your projects there are several free services to do that which have features and services we could not possible match, some of which run on completely free software.

4) The list of modules on CGRAN comes from PyBOMBS and CGRAN heavily depends on PyBOMBS. If a module has a manifest file we use it to get most of the information. If there is no manifest file we only know a small amount of information.

5) For module authors that want to improve their presence on CGRAN, add a MANIFEST.md to the top level of your module repo. The skeleton is at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/master/gr-utils/python/modtool/gr-newmod/MANIFEST.md and you can view the module repos that have more content on CGRAN for examples.

Finally, this wouldn't look nearly as well as it does without Ravi Sharan who put together the overall site layout and feedback from those in the CGRAN/PyBOMBS working group. This is not the final state of CGRAN as we tweak the layout and operation, but we want to get it out there for use and encourage module authors to add manifest files.

-Nathan