Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mimo beam forming on USRP

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mimo beam forming on USRP
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 11:32:53 -0500

Indeed, I should have emphasized that despite having features like "phase resynch", in any *practical* phased-array, you'll still need some mechanism for calibrating the phase centers of all your antenna.  Differential environmental factors can, for example, affect the phasing of the antenna feed paths, even with your LOs all agreeing quite-well on phase.

In Radio Astronomy, they do this all the time--there's always a phase-calibration process that is undertaken prior to observations, because despite careful layout of common LOs, carefully-measured feedlines from the same batch of cable, etc, differentials creep in.