[Discuss-gnuradio] Low TX Power when performing frequency hopping

From: vaibhav kulkarni
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Low TX Power when performing frequency hopping
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 12:24:24 +0100

Dear All,

I am trying to implement some frequency hopping schemes in the ISM band with USRP N210 with RFX 2400 board ( I also tried the same with the SBX 40MHz board). I hop to the next channel (channel seperation : 5MHz) after every 6ms (tuning time for RFX board is 250usec) so tuning is not an issue. I set max gain (20dB in case of RFX board) and 30 dB in case of (SBX Board) and send random modulated (BPSK) bits.

However, I get very low power at the receiver (another USRP, RX gain 20dB)  around -70 to -80 dB 1 meter away from the tx USRP. When I dont perfrom frequency hopping I get a rx power of -10 dB. I am not able to understand why the tx power reduces by such an extent while perfroming fx hopping, although I give enough settling time.

Also is there any firmware which allows to further increase the tx power ?

Any help to resolve this issue is appreciated.

Best,
Vaibhav
ETH Zurich