Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Run to completion" not working with message pass

From: Piotr Krysik
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Run to completion" not working with message passing blocks
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 21:34:27 +0100

W dniu 29.04.2014 o 16:20, Tom Rondeau pisze:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Perper <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I want to use message passing blocks for operations where strict
>     synchronization is not necessary. However in flowgraphs using message
>     passing with "Run to completion" option turned on the program doesn't
>     exit on last processed sample. Is this a bug?
>
>     I want to use message passing in my programs (mainly in
>     https://github.com/Jakotako/gr-gsm) but completion after processing of
>     all input data is also very important for me.
>
>     --
>     Piotr Krysik
>

> Yes, this is a known issue and we are working on it.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

In GNU Radio 3.7.6 this is still an issue. It's quite serious because
whole class of applications that would use message passing and rely on
the processing in the flowgraph to end after processing of chunk of the
signal (i.e. to change the flowgraph in known conditions) is not possible.

I'm working on a simple gsm network monitor application based on gr-gsm
(https://github.com/ptrkrysik/gr-gsm) and have quite hard time because
of this issue.

Is this some general problem where the source of it is that GNU Radio
was meant primarily to process stream of samples? Or is it some simpler
matter?

I've attached vary simple flowgraph that demonstrates the problem.

Best Regards,
Piotr Krysik