Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bugs/Features Pybombs

From: Rick Farina
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bugs/Features Pybombs
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:11:52 -0500

On 01/20/2015 01:45 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Richard Bell <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Reporting what feel like two bugs in pybombs that only arise in CentOS.
>> You won't encounter these in Ubuntu.
>>
>> *1)* Minor feature/bug: The config.defaults file does not contain rpm in
>> the satisfy order list. It needs to be added manually.
>>

> This is a configuration option that you are asked when you first run
> pybombs. On an RPM based system, you should have already done this when you
> first run pybombs:
>
> Order in which to attempt installations when available, options are: src,
> rpm, deb
> satisfy_order [deb,src]:
>
> It defaults to "deb,src" and you should change this to "rpm,src". This is
> mentioned on the QuickStart guide:
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki/QuickStart
>
> And no, before you ask :), we cannot auto-detect this. I mean, we could
> potentially auto-detect a few known Linux distros based on their layout or
> a specific file in /etc or something, but as you've already seen with
> something like CentOS, they tend to change things around quite a bit
> between versions, so it's something we'd have to constantly chase. And we
> run the risk of incorrectly identifying other distros and doing the "wrong
> thing."

There is a cross distro tool for this which seems to be supported very,
very widely called "lsb_release"

address@hidden ~ % lsb_release --help
FSG lsb_release v1.4 prints certain LSB (Linux Standard Base) and
Distribution information.

Usage: lsb_release [OPTION]...
With no OPTION specified it is the same as -v.

  -v, --version
    Display the version of the LSB specification against which the
distribution is compliant.
  -i, --id
    Display the string id of the distributor.
  -d, --description
    Display the single line text description of the distribution.
  -r, --release
    Display the release number of the distribution.
  -c, --codename
    Display the codename according to the distribution release.
  -a, --all
    Display all of the above information.
  -s, --short
    Display all of the above information in short output format.
  -h, --help
    Display this message.
address@hidden ~ % lsb_release -i
Distributor ID: Gentoo