[Discuss-gnuradio] THESIS with CUDA

From: address@hidden
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] THESIS with CUDA
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 18:16:12 +0100 (CET)

Hi everybody,
I'm a student who is completing his master degree of computeer engineering (now I'm at UPC-Barcelona, but before I've studied at polytechnic of Turin,Italy).
For my thesis, one of my possible idea is to bring part of GNURADIO over CUDA(I've see that there are already different contributions/papers about it). In this way, my work won't be completely useless, as lot of other thesis.
In order to do this, one possible schedule could be:

-do the porting of some existing blocks (or set of modules over CUDA), which don't require an enviroment too much CUDA-friendly. In this way,I hope to get more confidence and start to have problems.
-after one or two month, start to work above schedule(and/or similar stuffs) in order to avoid  host-device memory transfer when there are CUDA blocks in cascade, and here I will get tons of problems..(for istance,tagging single packets could be not good for warp divergence)..there could be different architectural choice,like a kernel for each block,or marging them togheter(taking advantages from warp) and use a "dynamic" compilation of device code(CUDA).
-other stuffs,optimizations..

I know that some of you can tell me about OpenCL, but I didn't have any experience with it, so I prefer CUDA. I want also to minimize problems which will arise, because surely I will gett lot of them..

I know also that some of you will say that VOLK gives good performance,but why don't allow users to get power from both?(maybe when you want to elaborate different signals at same time).
For the moment, this is not my final choice about my thesis(I've also another proposal about another field, but it wil be useless after the thesis).
In any case, I want to ask you if this could be interesting for your community.
Also because for the moment I have only an EZCAP tuner(RTL2838),which is fine for tv,audio signals,etc.. But probably I will ask to some of you if you can sniff some frequency(like 802.11) and give me files, in order to test the correct works also for these modules.
I will have also different choice to do, and it could be interesting to hear diferent point of view.

For the moment, thanks for your time,
marco ribero