Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Max Output Power from the LFTX

From: khalid.el-darymli
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Max Output Power from the LFTX
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 15:31:25 -0330

>> Trying setting a gain in your sink block of, let's say, 20dB, with a magnitude of 0.9.  What power output do you get?   How are you measuring power?

This gives me 23.2 mV (peak to peak). This is the reading I get from a scope connected to a T. For the input ends of the T, one end is connected to a 50-ohm terminator and the other end is connected to the output from LFTX. This gives a power of: 30+10 log_10[{23.2e-03/[2*sqrt(2)]}^2/50]= -28.711 dBm.

>> What is your flow-graph actually doing?  Have you tried both connectors on the LFTX?

Simple, a signal source (Sine) block directly connected to a USRP Sink block.
Yes, both connectors on the LFTX daughterboard give the same voltage reading.

Thanks,
Khalid

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Output power is determined largely by baseband signal magnitude in that case.

Yes, I understand. And I noticed that for baseband signal with an amplitude > 1,  the pass-band signal gets clipped off. So I assume that an amplitude of 1 for the baseband signal should deliver the maximum output power (for the pass-band signal).

My question was, what is the maximum power one can get for the pass-band signal output from LFTX? In your earlier reply, you said it is around +7dBm, am I getting this right? In my case, for a baseband amplitude of around 1, I am only getting -28.13dBm, much less than what you said, I am not sure, why?

Thanks,
Khalid

For a magnitude of ~1, you should see maximum amplitude signals coming out of it.

You could try setting gain, but on any platforms with VGAs in the DAC, there's only about 6dB of gain range settable.  Trying setting a gain in your
  sink block of, let's say, 20dB, with a magnitude of 0.9.  What power output do you get?   How are you measuring power?  What is your flow-graph
  actually doing?  Have you tried both connectors on the LFTX?

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks Marcus for your reply.

>> Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of +7dBm, maybe a little more.

>> The LF/BASIC series have *no* gain in either path, so you're just looked
at buffered ADC ouput.

So, ~ +7dBm is the max output power I supposed to get from the LFTX daughterboard? How do I get that?

Since I am only getting -28.13 dBm, does that mean I have some issue with my LFTX daughterboard?

Khalid

Output power is determined largely by baseband signal magnitude in that case.

Message: 2