Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Running a GNU Radio Companion generated code

From: Daniel Camara
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Running a GNU Radio Companion generated code
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:11:12 +0100

Hi Johannes,

 THANKS a lot!!!!  Yes you did really helped, as you said I was trying to run the wrong .py!!!  The example generates two .py on on the main directory, as you said, and another on the ~/.grc_gnuradio. I had seen  somewhere that gnuradio companion generate code on the  ~/.grc_gnuradio.  I looked, the code was there, I didn't even think it could have also generated other part of the code on the same directory of the .grc.  It was naive, sorry.

 I managed to run and connect gdb to it, using the PID.  Now things will become really interesting, i.e.e me fighting with gdb, and the breakpoints, to understand the values it passes through the code ;).

 Thanks again Johannes, for taking your time to answer! :)

   Best regards...

       Daniel

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Johannes Demel <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Daniel,

> OK I have a code, generated with Gnu radio companion that i want
> to run over the command line to follow with GDB. I was under the
> impression that if I simply got the code generated in the
> ~/.grc_gnuradio, add the
This folder usually only contains 'hier_blocks'. Executable flowgraph
pythons files are usually created in the same folder your .grc file is
located in.

> ----
>
> |def main(): """ go, go, go """ top_block = [CLASS]()
> top_block.run()
Did you replace a class by [Class]? According to the Tutorial it
expects an object of type gr.top_block in this line.

> if __name__ == "__main__": print 'Blocked waiting for GDB attach
> (pid = %d)' % (os.getpid(),) raw_input ('Press Enter to continue:
> ') main() ---- |
>
> as stated at
> https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/TutorialsDebugging

it would run to attach GDB. However, i am getting the following error:

> --- Traceback (most recent call last): File "ieee802_15_4_phy.py",
> line 120, in <module> main() File "ieee802_15_4_phy.py", line 115,
> in main top_block.run() File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/gr/hier_block2.py",

line 53, in __getattr__
> return getattr(self._hb, name) AttributeError: 'hier_block2_sptr'
> object has no attribute 'run'
You try to call run on a 'hier_block'. 'run' is a member of
'gr.top_block'. top_block contains the scheduler and takes care of
correct initialization etc. So it is essentially the flowgraph.

I hope I could give you some hints on what might go wrong.