[Discuss-gnuradio] GRC Install - Pybombs vs Binaries

From: John Meloche
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC Install - Pybombs vs Binaries
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 08:56:46 -0500

Hello experts,
I have been using linux and GRC for about a year and as such I am still pretty 'green' about a lot of stuff, but I am learning and hopefuly someone will be able to advise me about me questions.
I use GRC at work behind a firewall.  Installing via Pybombs is very cumbersome if not impossible only due to the fact that Pybombs 'fetches' various dependencies, etc from various locations on the internet.  The firewall is preventing access (as it is designed to) to some parts of github, etc.  So the only way to use pybombs in my circumstance is to bring the computer off site for the installation to complete without errors.  I have recently learned how pybombs can be used to install or revert to a specific version of GRC.  The binary package which is installed with the 'apt-get install .... " terminal command is allowable from behind the firewall and seems to be a good solution for me going forward.  At a training course from Corgan Labs in the spring we were warned that binaries will be phased out in favour of pybombs.
This leads me to a few questions:
1) Will the binaries be available and supported into the future or will pybombs eventualy be the method of choice?
2) Is there an advantage to using one method over the other?
3) Is there a way to identify a package version that is considered to be long term support compared to a minor bug fix (similar to the way that Ubuntu has identified its versions)?
Best Regards,
John Meloche