Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadband Applications with USRP

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadband Applications with USRP
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 11:37:59 +0100

Hi Lefteris,
in addition to what Ron wrote:

On 12/04/2014 10:44 PM, Lefteris Kampianakis wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in developing broadband applications (~30MHZ BW) using the
USRP and I have some questions:

0) What is the largest bandwidth I can process using a flow graph with
relatively large complexity (e.g. 16QAM demodulator simple lowpass, 2 x
mixers), any USRP and a computer with arbitrarily large processing power. I
just want a rule of thumb approximation.
If your computer is arbitrarily fast: the maximum sampling rate you can get out of the USRP.
That would be something like 25MHz for N200/N210 @16bit, 50MHz @8bit, 200MHz out of the X300/X310,
and something mainly depending on your USB3 controller for the B200/B210.
1) I know it's probably not the right place to ask, but do you think my
application can be implemented in either Labview, or MATLAB USRP interfaces?
Yes, but in Matlab they will only be offline processing applications.
3) Are there any papers/applications notes etc in the literature that you
are aware of that implement broadband (30 MHZ BW) systems using the USRP?
Yes, there are :)

This one is not involving GNU Radio, but it's impressive nevertheless, since it's 128 times a 30.72MHz sampling rate[1].

Then there's a load of papers you'll find when searching IEEE Xplore for "USRP gnuradio", and one of the nice things about GNU Radio (as much as about the USRPs) is that sample rate is just a setting -- if you can set the desired sample rate, and your algorithms can deal with that rate, you're fine.

There's inherently high demand for bandwidth in radar applications [2], so choosing radar as a topic is a good approach for finding papers describing USRP usage at high sample rates.

Greetings,
Marcus

[1] http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52382/en/?cid=Social-Company-Corporate-sf29667469
[2] http://www.cel.kit.edu/abstracts.php#Braun_Symposium_2012