Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] How to correct for the drift in an (

From: khalid.el-darymli
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] How to correct for the drift in an (FMCW) Rx signal?
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 11:36:48 -0330

Hi Marcus,

Is there a temperature sensor on-board the N200 unit? If not, does it support installing any such sensor?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Khalid

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/28/2014 03:41 PM, khalid.el-darymli wrote:

Back to my original question, what should I do to correct for this?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Khalid

Khalid:

Thanks very much for the very-extensive data.  My main concern, as one of the Ettus support team, was that there was something wrong with
  the hardware, but the magnitude of both the apparent phase and magnitude drift is entirely consistent with analog-hardware temperature
  effects, unrelated to clock stability, etc.

Coax cables, for example, will change their loss characteristics and *effective length* with temperature, so with precise hardware like USRPs, it's
  easy to see these effects.

FMCW radar isn't my area of expertise, so hopefully others can comment on RX-processing strategies to deal with this, as it *must* also be a problem
  with non-SDR FMCW radar implementations.