[Discuss-gnuradio] Problems with Gnuradio-Companion

From: Mike Willis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems with Gnuradio-Companion
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:25:15 -0000

Hi everyone

How does gnuradio-companion find and recognise blocks?

<rant>

Why is it so damned difficult for a normal person to write and maintain a block?

I had developed a working block written which functioned fine, even in gnuradio-companion. I needed an extra parameter so I added this. I modified all the appropriate files that I know about in lib, include and so on to include the extra parameter input. The modified block compiles without errors and it installs and works fine. I have done a sudo ldconfig. It even works and so do previous Python scripts that use it.

BUT Gnuradio Companion absolutely and completely refuses to find it. Error – block key not found in platform. Its not in the list of blocks, its just gone.

Is the XML file there? yes. Is it properly configured? Yes. Are all the other files in the right places? Yes – it would appear so by comparison with other blocks. No doubt there is some config file somewhere expecting my block to have one less parameter hiding in a directory with a curious name where its obvious to developers but not to mere mortals. Has GRC has looked is some such place, noted a difference and silently ignored the block completely? Three hours I have been bashing away at this and have got nowhere.

</rant>