[Discuss-gnuradio] help accessing fft bins in python script

From: Brad Hein
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] help accessing fft bins in python script
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 17:36:56 +0000 (UTC)

Using qa_fft.py for inspiration[1], I'm trying to feed a raw capture file into an fft of size 32 and then review the 32 fft bins at an instantaneous point in time[2]. I must be doing something wrong however because when I review the vector sink's data() method, it returns a rather large array (compared to the 32-element array I am expecting). data() seems to return an array with the same number of elements as samples fed into the fft. I just want an array of the 32 fft bins so I can calculate the relative power in the given band.

Any help/pointers appreciated!
Thanks

[1] http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/repository/revisions/master/entry/gr-fft/python/fft/qa_fft.py
[2] https://github.com/regulatre/grfun/blob/9dbbf676d2fea013787720273af0b419699c75a4/hello-fft/decodeDump162.py