[Discuss-gnuradio] Why is fft output complex?

From: k1gto
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why is fft output complex?
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 21:38:59 +0000 (UTC)

I can't wrap my head around why fft transform of complex signal produces a complex output. After all the output reflects the amount of energy per frequency bin and frequency bins and energy are both real numbers, no?

I'm trying to write a python script to analyze the energy across frequency bins but I don't know where to insert a complex to mag block. I think if I can understand the fft I will know to put the complex to mag.

Thanks
Brad.