Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Delay block controlled by input

From: Carlos Alberto Ruiz Naranjo
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Delay block controlled by input
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 09:10:05 +0200

I generate the signal from a file (10230000 samples/s) to a file. My sampling clock drifts significantly :S

- Picture one: Counter Clock 2 is correct but Counter Clock 1 no.
Then I should use the second configuration, but it is not allowed because I have a loop, right?

I'll try the method you say ;)

Ok, you'll have to explain why you'd need throttle, as this is almost never the case, especially not when a) working in a simulation or b) working with "real" hardware, as that usually enforces a sampling rate.
If you know the physical sampling rate, counting samples *must* work, unless your sampling clock drifts significantly, or you have *really* fast moving satellites for which relativity is a concern at such low frequencies.

Anyway, as an advisor told me once, if you want something done mathematically right, do it mathematically right (that was on the subject on simulating delay for radar targets):
Transform your signal to frequency domain, multiply it with a complex sine of the frequency representing your time shift, and transform it back to time domain. This allows you (within numerical precision of the complex float and the length of your FFT) to have arbitrary accurate shifts, to dynamically update the frequency (depending on how you generate the complex sinusoid) and costs only moderately many ressources (OK, at roughly 10MS/s, this might still be relevant).

Greetings,
Marcus