Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CC encoder definition (variable_cc_encoder_def)

From: David Halls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CC encoder definition (variable_cc_encoder_def)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 16:08:55 +0000

From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Tom Rondeau address@hidden
Sent: 07 October 2014 16:27
To: David Halls
Cc: address@hidden

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM, David Halls <address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
The problem appears to be using <var_make> and <var_value> in the xml files.

Presumably this is a new(ish) additional functionality in GNU Radio, which my old version can’t parse?

Yes, those are new in 3.7 (3.7.4, I think but would have to check to verify). It's a way of letting us build objects within GRC and use them as such in other areas of the flowgraph. So you can define an FEC variable and call methods on it, like cc.K() to get the CC's constraint length.

You can probably remove these from the .xml files and lose that functionality. It's a nice convenience but not necessary. You can replace it by having another variable, say for K, and use that in any place you might require it instead of pulling it straight from the CC variable itself.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that is a useful piece of functionality indeed. I commented out the <var_make> and <var_value> and have instead

"<make>self.$(id) = $(id) = fec.cc_encoder_make($framebits, $k, $rate, $polys, $state_start, $mode, $padding)</make>"

Is that OK? I can also manually create the Encoder Objects variable as

fec.cc_encoder_make(frame_size*8, k, rate, (polys), start_state, fec.CC_TERMINATED, padding)

how would I add the parallelism

(fec.cc_encoder_make(frame_size*8, k, rate, (polys), start_state, fec.CC_TERMINATED, padding);fec.cc_encoder_make(frame_size*8, k, rate, (polys), start_state, fec.CC_TERMINATED, padding))

or similar?