Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] top block edge list

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] top block edge list
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 10:29:24 -0400

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Ryan Marlow <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey Jeff,
 I had previously found those two options but was unsure if I was missing anything else. dot_graph() seemed like a good option but it doesn't have the block port information, like the term "dot graph" implies. I suppose I'll just wait until after tb.start().
Thanks for your response,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

The reason edge_list() isn't populated until after the call to start is because the graph hasn't been properly structured until start is called. That's when all of the buffers are created and connected between blocks. The edge list is used there, and it's use as a diagnostic tool by the user is kind of secondary.

I'm trying to understand what you think "dot graph" implies. It's a graph that uses the 'dot' format[0]. I agree that it would be nice if there was a way to represent the port numbers in here, too, though.

Also, we have plans for some gnuradio-runtime restructuring for our 3.8 release. One of my plans is to make automatically walking the graph a lot easier from the outside. I've run into this myself and you and others have asked similar questions, and we've all made compromises based on the current tools. For benchmarking and optimization, we really want to be able to interrogate the top block more effectively. Of course, I'm assuming you're not going to want to wait until 3.8 for this since you're probably looking to graduate :)

Tom

[0] http://www.graphviz.org/content/dot-language

Ryan,

You can print the edge list using

  print tb.edge_list()

BUT, it's not populated until after tb.start(). You can either wait until after tb.start(), or you can use
  print tb.dot_graph()

before tb.start(). It's meant to be input to dot (graphviz) but it's human readable. "dotty" didn't actually parse it right, but I could have done something wrong there.
- Jeff