Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CGRAN down indefinitely, but hopefully not for lo

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CGRAN down indefinitely, but hopefully not for long (want feedback)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:47:24 -0700

On 29.09.2014 14:55, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
I have no religious convictions about git vs svn.

I'd have to change a couple of scripts [...]

When CGRAN was inaugurated, github wasn't as popular as it was (and GNU Radio was still on SVN itself). We would not have gone for a central SVN repo if github had been on our radar back then.

I guess most people either share Marcus' sentiment, or are biased towards git. So, ditching SVN is pretty much a no-brainer.

However, one major difference between SVN and git is that the latter doesn't have the concept of every dir being a repo in and of itself. This means if we simply pushed everything to a giant github repo, that would not be terribly useful (definitely not a replacement for CGRAN), although I can see that being a temp solution so that at the very least, nothing is lost (a big advantage of using github is that they're less likely to lose data).

Really, every CGRAN project should be pulled into it's own little repo, e.g. on github. Migrating from SVN to git is really easy (even with preserving history and all). I guess we could put up instructions on how to do that if there's popular demand.

However, there's also the wiki pages on CGRAN. We do need a strategy for those (and a way to access them).

Keep the ideas and comments coming, people!

Cheers,