Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python OOT Block on Windows

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python OOT Block on Windows
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:52:03 +0200

Hi Luke,
Well, yesno. If your python file stands alone, putting it somewhere python will find it suffices, and there are standard directories to just drop your xml file defining the GRC block representing that block.
Since 3.7.1 (I thiiiiink...) pure-Python OOTs work well without having ever been touched by a compiler. Note though that the whole installation routine depends heavily on the standard GNU Radio build environment, which will make it a bit hard to actually work without a compiler, or CMake. Personally, if you can, try to set up a proper development environment [1]-- it will come in really handy if you decide you want to build the latest GNU Radio yourself later on or if your signal processing needs demand C++ blocks at one point.

Greetings,
Marcus

[1] an easy way to try a system where most (if not all initially desirable) components are already set up is the live DVD -- http://gnuradio.org/redmine/news/43