[Discuss-gnuradio] European Workshop on Testbed-Based Wireless Research

From: Per Zetterberg
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] European Workshop on Testbed-Based Wireless Research - Call for Contributions
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:21:51 +0000

    European Workshop on Testbed-Based Wireless Research
                        November 19th 2014
        KTH Main Campus, Stockholm, Sweden

web: http://people.kth.se/~perz/ewtbwr/2014/ws.html

Following up on the successful "scandinavian workshop on testbed based
wireless research" of last year we are  happy to announce the more ambitious
first
"European workshop on testbed based wireless research" which will
also be held at the Royal Institute of Technology, KTH.

### Workshop scope ###
Over the last decade software-defined radios have become an important
tool for evaluating novel ideas on algorithms and protocols for wireless
communications and networking. This has been recognized by many research
groups in academia and industry, leading to a steady proliferation of
wireless testbed equipment around the world. This is accompanied by a
massive increase in research output related to experimental evaluation
rather than traditional methods like mathematical analysis or simulations.
In this workshop, we intend to offer the community a meeting venue for
knowledge exchange in a rather informal way. The workshop is dedicated to

1. The presentation of novel research results at an early stage without
formal paper submission, reviewing and a subsequent workshop proceeding.
This gives researchers the opportunity to get feedback on their work at
an early stage, likely improving subsequent publications.
2. Sharing prototyping best-practice and development experience with
other researchers and developers in the community, and discussing
initiatives and concerns with respect to different development platforms
together with representatives of the platform development teams.

To achieve this, the workshop is composed of three different parts:
- Presentation slots for (early) research results, accompanied by an
abstract but no formal paper published later in a proceeding.
- Poster and demo presentations also accompanied by an abstract but no
paper presented in a proceeding.
- Parallel two-hour community meetings, with Mango and National
Instruments respectively. The two communities will present the latest
new from their respective development platforms USRP (National
instruments) and WARP (Mango). These community meetings will also have
the opportunity for researchers to discuss their concerns, needs, ideas,
suggestions etc. with the company representatives and the broader
community.

  For paper, poster or demo presentation, we solicit contributions in
the broad areas of wireless communications and networking as long as
they are related to experimental work. Areas of interest are (but not
limited to):

- Physical layer design
- Protocol design, not only limited to the medium access control layer
- Network optimization and management
- Validation results, i.e. performance comparisons between theoretical
and experimental work
- Tools for experimental platforms (i.e. new libraries, novel
hardware/software designs etc.)

### Registration ###

For participants the workshop is free of charge, i.e. we do not request
a registration fee. However, participants need to register:
- Pure participation requires a registration by November 1st.
- Talks need to be registered with a title and an abstract by October
15th. The organizing committee will decide on the assignment of
presentation slots if we receive too many registrations for talks.  The
slot assignments will be based on relevance to the workshop community
and novelty of the contribution.
- Demos are accepted as they are proposed, as well as poster
presentations. Here, we request a registration by November 1st.

Abstracts for talks and demos should be limited to two pages in IEEE
conference style format.
Please register talks, demos and/or participation by sending an email to
address@hidden with subject [EWT] .

### Workshop Organization and Program Committee ###

- Per Zetterberg (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- James Gross (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Patrick Murphy (Mango Communications)
- Leif Johansson (National Instruments)
- Linda Doyle (Trinity College Dublin)