Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to install gnuradio with pybombs

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to install gnuradio with pybombs
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 11:23:13 +0200

Sammy,

don't hesitate asking basic questions (as long as they're not answered
directly on the web site :D ).

See comments inline:

On 09/04/2014 09:42 AM, sammy zada wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm very new to gnuradio, & i'm trying to follow instructions from
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki/QuickStart.
>
> On the page it is stated that, Upon running the first install command
> you will be prompted for a few simple preferences such as
> - which install prefix to use

This is where you install stuff. The typical system-wide directory is
/usr/local on Linux, but we recommend you don't do that but rather
install into a user-writable dir, such as ~/target.
If unsure, you can use the default.

> - cmake debug flags to use

If unsure, use the default.

> - how to try to satisfy dependencies (typically "rpm,src" for
> fedora/centos/RHEL and "deb,src" for debian/ubuntu or just "src" to
> ignore the system package manager)

If a package is missing, where do we get it from? Say we're missing
Boost, we need to install it before we can proceed. pybombs can use the
package manager of your system, or compile from src.
deb,src is a good setting for Debian/Ubuntu, because it tries to use the
standard package installer if possible, but can always fall back on to
the source build, which should always work.

If unsure, leave the default.

Hope this helps.