Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PSK demodulator and Doppler

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PSK demodulator and Doppler
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 09:03:14 -0400

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:12 AM, Vanush Vaswani <address@hidden> wrote:
My solution involved the frequency translating block and a third party application. As part of the initial channel filter, I set the the "Center Frequency" attribute to -40000+fftshift*rx_shift_factor (assuming my LO tuned to +40 KHz from the carrier). The satellite tracking program, PREDICT, provides a Doppler shift calculation assuming a 100 MHz carrier. rx_shift_factor is the satellite carrier frequency divided by 100 MHz. I then polled PREDICT, which provides a UDP server interface and then in Python called set_fftshift method on the flowgraph object generated by gnuradio-companion. In turn, this would update the taps of the FIR filter to provide a desired frequency shift.

As for temperature drift, I assumed that with a strong enough signal, the inbuilt Costas loop would be able to bring the signal back to baseband.

The drawback of this solution is that it's not fully contained within gnuradio-companion, and like you said, requires the orbital elements to be known. One solution that uses the PLL block is here: https://www.cgran.org/wiki/ESTCube-1Receiver

It might not be completely contained in GRC, but it's a clever solution.

Another thing to look into is the fll_band_edge block. This will only work, however, if the signal is pulse-shaped. Specifically with an RRC filter by design, but we can modify it for other pulse shapes as well. This only does coarse frequency correction, but it's lock in bandwidth is much wider than that of the Costas loop block. You'd still want to follow this up with the Costas loop for fine frequency and phase tracking.

One thing, too, is that this block is fairly expensive computationally. It's calculating two FIR filters, which should be replaced by fast convolution filters. And I think that we could even combine this into a single filter operation.

Tom