Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR advice for newcomer?

From: Mike Markowski
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR advice for newcomer?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 22:48:27 -0400

On 08/28/2014 10:32 AM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 20:50:42 -0400
    Mike Markowski <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>
    wrote:

     > I have experience in DSP but am completely new to Gnuradio and
     > excited to get started.  Because I'm also a ham [...]
     >
     > Thanks very much!
     > Mike ab3ap

You can also start with an rtl-sdr (nooelec is now selling them, so
supply is easy to come by). As a ham, you're going to hate a lot of the
RF, but it's cheap, works easily with GNU Radio, and you can find many
pre-built examples that use this receiver. It's also receive only.
Still, it's a great and really cheap way to start, and it'll give you
some time to play and develop better concepts about what else you might
need from the hardware.

Tom

Thanks, Tom, that's a great, low risk way to start!

Mike