Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR, USRP, and GPIB measurements

From: Gayathri Ramasubramanian
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR, USRP, and GPIB measurements
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 00:50:38 -0700

Hi

Thank you for previous note.
I removed the FFT block and made my flow graph similar to yours. It works now :)
It is the first time I am working with the QT GUI widgets so kindly help clear the foll doubts.

1. I do not have the QT_FREQUENCY_GUI_SINK BLOCK you have used only the QT_GUI_SINK which gives the frequency spectrum. This is because of the
lower version ( 3.6.4.1) I suppose.
For a USRPN210+WBX board I got the calibration factor to be as follows:
@ 400 MHZ, K = - 62.8
@ 900 MHz ; K = -58.8

@ 1.8 GHz ; K = --52.5

I tested for 3 devices (USRPN210+WBX) and got around same result . The Gain was set to 0. This does not match the value you had obtained with your test.
Is there a major difference in the working b/w QT_Frequency_SINK and QT_GUI_SINK that would affect the final result?If so, Can you suggest a work around. .

2. The channel gain value seems to add to the transmitted power from signal generator. So the calibration factor also needs to have channel gain added to its value for getting same result.
So it seems like the channel gain affects the signal power like a LNA and hence increases the strength of the signal wrt to the noise. Then how is it different from RX gain.? Im a little confused on
where the gain parameters actually impact the value of the signal.

2. The QT block also seems to do an internal FFT default size of 256 and send out a signal. However this value does not match the value seen on WX FFT GUI ( the CUrsor on QT SINK actually gives a vlue very close to actual signal generator reading). is there major difference in signal processing of QT widgets as compared to WX widgets. I found some previous threads stating whats the difference as per the software processing level in GRC not about the way it processed the received signal.

3. Why is there a difference in the channel_power_dBm value and the value seen on the spectrum using the cursor. (refer the picture). The cursor shows -81.42 dB @ 0.0 Khz offset from centre freq, while the channel_power_dBm shows a value of -17.5 dBm

4. Since This gives the channel power, I suppose this cant be used to find the intermodulation's power with two tone test. Is my understanding correct?or is there a work around for it too?

Kindly clarify the above doubts.
Look forward to your response.

Thanks
Gayathri