Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Other block as parameter in GRC

From: Sebastian Koslowski
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Other block as parameter in GRC
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:01:35 +0200

On 08/19/2014 03:32 PM, Durst, Julius Moritz Stephan wrote:
> For using message passing I would have to create a custom filter block
> (that updates upon messages). I will consider that if there is no easier
> solution.
Why not write a patch to the existing filter block(s): add the message
port, set it to be hidden by default and add parameter to show it on
demand.  Could make a nice contribution =)
> Is there any way to pass that block-ID in the GRC and avoid an error in
> the FG validation? Because the FG works after correcting the python code
> generated by the GRC by putting the block-ID/object into the parameters
> of the other one. I just realize that this of course requires the
> filter-block to be instanciated first. Which is probably the reason why
> it is not such a good idea to let the companion do it.
Right. I could create a custom param type for that. Check if the id is
in the fg. Only considering the GRC part, the message passing solution
is nicer, though, because the information flow is clearly visible in the
fg and not "hidden".