[Discuss-gnuradio] fftw3 thread safety ?

From: jmfriedt
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] fftw3 thread safety ?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:35:18 +0200

I am facing an issue with one of my decoding blocks in which I call
"manually" FFTW3 (ie *not* going through the gnuradio-fftw3
implementation since I have not (yet) understood how it operates). If I
call a processing chain with a single appearance of my processing
block, all goes fine. If I add a second decoding block (for example for
decoding a second channel), gnuradio crashes after a couple of seconds.
I tracked the issue to the fftw3 thread safety and apparently some
global variable shared by all task planners. Can someone point me to
the way gnuradio solves this thread safety issue (which must be solved
since I can use as many FFT display blocks I want) ? The semaphore
solution is not really satisfactory since I'd like not to ask my block
to wait for all other data processing to be completed before I can
complete its own task.

Thanks, JM