Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR, USRP, and GPIB measurements

From: madengr
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR, USRP, and GPIB measurements
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 11:12:48 -0700 (PDT)

1)  I have not calculated P1dB or IP3, yet.  I will have to do that.  I find
it's easier to look at a graph of IMD3 levels since it is more intuitive
that working from the IP3, which is more useful for calculations.

2)  0 dBFS would be the DAC swinging full scale; i.e. -1 to +1 float value
(DAC voltage or current if you want to think of it that way) from GNU Radio.
That is the maximum power you can get from the DAC.  So to drop the power by
1/2 (i.e. -3 dB), the amplitude must drop to 1/sqrt(2)=0.707.  You always
need to stay backed off from full scale, so -3 dB is a good point.  You
don't care about the power from the DAC, only the power from the DAC +
amplifier.  The DAC should be very linear compared to the amplifier, and it
is since the IMD really drops off with amplifier gain setting.

Your measurements should be dropping in 5 dB steps; they are not.  You can
either decrease your video bandwidth, or better yet remove that 60 dB
attenuator.  Most spectrum analyzers can handle 30 dBm with the input
attenuator at maximum.  60 dB is too much, not to mention it's probably not
exactly 60 dB.

Let's say you have two tone,  each is 0 dBm, at 100 Hz and  101 Hz.  The the
total (mean square) power is  3 dBm; i.e. measure each tone individually and
sum the power.  At the beat frequency of 1 Hz the amplitudes add
constructively and destructively; ie. doubling and going to nothing.  That
amplitude doubling gives an instantaneous (peak) power of 6 dBm, then it
disappears to nothing, hence the average is still 3 dBm.  So for two tones
the peak power is 3 dB over average power, or 6 dB over that of a single
tone.  That's why I set each tone power to -9 dBFS, so the peak power is -3
dBFS.

Thanks,
Lou
KD4HSO