Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ImportError: No module named ...

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ImportError: No module named ...
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:40:01 -0400

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Nguyễn Văn Lý <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Marcus,

I've gotten a surprising thing and I couldn't explain why.
First, I type: sudo gnuradio-companion to open the GNUradio and test my own module. It turned out an error message as I described in the previous mail. (ImportError: No module named Tool_NetworkCoding)
However, when I just type: gnuradio-companion and also run the same grc file, the error message disappeared, and everything then seems to go well.
So, is there any difference between sudo gnuradio-companion and gnuradio-companion ?

Thank you very much
Van-Ly

Yes. Using sudo, you're running as root with root's environment that usually doesn't know about things in /usr/local (PATH, PYTHONPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.). You should not be running gnuradio-companion as root, anyways. No need to sudo everything!

Tom