Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to manage time!

From: Activecat
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to manage time!
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 10:04:46 +0800

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Mostafa Alizadeh <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello everybody,
I want to have a block of, for example, bit generator, which generates 1000 bps. How could I manage the time in a thread (or equivalently in a block)??
Or saying in general, how could I manage timing for passing data between blocks!?

I saw the "Throttle" block of gnuradio in c++ but I didn't how it works!!

Let me put the answer into layman's terms.

1).  If there is any USRP (or audio block) in the flowgraph, then you just need to calculate a sampling rate (samp_rate) value and configure this to your bit-generator block.
If this samp_rate value is correct, your bit-gnerator block will automatically generates output at 1000 bps.
To calculate this samp_rate, you need to look at the flow graph, how the blocks are interconnected.

2).  If there is no USRP (nor audio block) in the flowgraph, it is not so critical whether your bit-generator block actually generates output at 1000 bps or 10,000 bps or 100,000 bps.
This is because software simulation can be a fast-forward version of the actual speed.

3).  Throttle block is needed only when there is no USRP (nor audio block) in your flow graph, to increase user experience. The settings of the throttle block has no effect on your simulation result.