[Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus B200 and USB3.0 works. Or "It's better than USB

From: Dominic H Weston
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus B200 and USB3.0 works. Or "It's better than USB2.0"
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 23:19:02 -0400

Just wanted to let all the people who are having USB 3.0 problems know that I am running a
Hootoo HT-PC001 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 4 port PCI-E card which has the RECOMMENDED
VIA VL805 (VL80X to quote the Ettus web page) chipset. I did my research and purchased it at
the end of 11/2013 for $19.99 from (can I say) Newegg. It is running on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2
w/  i7-920 with an Intel X58 chipset thats been running since 9/2009. It works in Windows 7 as
well as Ubuntu Linux. So here is a card you can use instead of a USB2.0 port or a non-supported
USB3.0 port. Yes I do get some overruns, but that could be a lot of things. I’ll figure it out.

And to the insulting gentleman that keeps harping on the "Ettus boards only working on USB 2.0”,
there are many more that have gotten them to work with USB 3.0, they just don’t complain about
things that work. We all know that the people out there who are not helping others are just there
to vent, complain and bad mouth things they did not bother to learn about. My recommendation to
them is to stick with MS Windows, buy a $20 SDR dongle, use the software that does not need to
be compiled. And then when they have a clue as to what they are doing, move up to a board that
does what they need or want it to do. The B200 did what I wanted it to do, so I bought it over the
others.
As with any group of people, you will have the appliance operators that can not do much more than
Plug n’ Pray.  And you have people that are more technically inclined. They can assemble their own
systems and run an operating system that they can modify and compile themselves. Now take a
look at the reviews on the HooToo card, you have folks that swear by it and love it. They most likely
know what they are doing. And you have those that fried their motherboards. I try to imagine what
they could have done to have such spectacular failures. They probably 1) did not read the installation
manual and/or 2) did not connect the power to the card as specified and it drew too much power thru
the PCI slot. Can you say "Bzzzzzzt, Pfffffffft, Pow".
And you sound just like the guy that is so legend, wait for it, dary on so many of the SDR forums.
The one who never gives any real facts, who’s post usually break down to a swearing match.
Keeps saying that its coming real soon and that it will be made in Chicago by WindyCitySDR.
So just tap your ruby slippers together 3 times while saying “It’s coming real soon, It’s coming
real soon, It’s coming reeeeeeeeal soooooooooon”.
And the hardware you are hocking (-quotes from your/their web site):
-Wide RF range 33Mhz-4400Mhz *(1). What does the *(1) define, I searched your web site
and found no info on what that defines or what that discredits. Or does it look more professional
that way?
-64MSPS 14bit AD. Thats A/D, get it right. Or did you mean “Anno Domini”?
-128MSPS 12bit DA. yep, that should be D/A or Digital to Analog in case you did not know.
-USB2.0 H/S connectivity provide(S) (a) max 8M(bits? or bytes?) sampling bandwidth(16bit).
To quote the Crowded House song, "Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup”.  You want to cram a
lot of data thru a little straw.
-DC Characters. Which one, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman? Their are just
too many to list. Who did your web page? Is English their first or second language? And all your
numbers tell me that you subscribe to the “This one goes to 11” mentality.

Please excuse any spelling or grammatical mistakes. I am going to bed now.
Thank you all on the Discuss-gnuradio Digest for such useful information.
    Dominic

P.S, I do not work for Ettus Research. But I do hold them with high regard for all they
contribute to the SDR community. And I don’t play one on TV either!

And by the way, its ‘Nuts’ not ‘Nutts’. You couldn’t even get that straight.