Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to reduce reconfiguration latency

From: Bolin Hsu
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to reduce reconfiguration latency
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:08:19 -0700

I found pausing the flow graph to be the wrong action for my situation.

I tried to find out how many samples are in my flow graph. I inserted logging to the work function of two blocks in my flow graph. One is the signal source whose frequency is altered if a frequency shift is detected. The other is the last block of my flow graph. The log prints the value of nitems_written() of the blocks. The difference of the items written between these two blocks is roughly equal to the samples I lost waiting for the new setting to take effect. So I think the latency is the time it takes to drain the samples that has gone too far down the flow graph to be affected by the new setting.

Obviously pausing the flow graph won't help. Instead, it would be helpful if I could speed up draining the samples that can't be affected by the new setting, something like flowgraph.clear_downstream(basic_block_sptr start_block), which discards all samples in blocks that is reachable from start_block's output ports according to the flow graph. The time spent on moving and processing useless samples could be saved. Does this idea make sense?

Thanks,
Bolin