Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reference Clock power level for Ettus N210

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reference Clock power level for Ettus N210
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:31:22 +0200

Hi,
looking at the N200 schematics from files.ettus.com, I'd say:
stick to the 0dBm, your clock signal has to pass a transformer and some
safety/matching circuitry and still ought to be more accurate than the on-board
VCTCXO; the clock multiplexer
(http://www.micrel.com/index.php/en/products/clock-timing/clock-data-distribution/multiplexers/article/29-sy89545l.html)
 datasheet says it needs at least a voltage swing of 0.1V after that.
I'm not very much of a circuits person, but I think you won't deteriorate much
of your clock accuracy by using a clock buffer, which are quite inexpensive (if
you need but one and are not afraid to solder... TI gives away samples for
free).
Then again, you're trying to achieve a better clock performance than the
on-board 10MHz ref clock, so I guess you shouldn't start introducing cheap
hardware in the clock signal path...

Greetings,
Marcus

added that to CC: