Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC vs python flow-graph by hand

From: Activecat
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC vs python flow-graph by hand
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:19:11 +0800

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Activecat <address@hidden> wrote:
It seems that in normal usage the GRC is able to accomplish most of the tasks without modifying the python flow-graph by hand...

Generally, we move away from GRC when we require a lot of logic and control to set up the flowgraph. You might have a lot of branches to enable one type of block over another automatically based on some user input. Other reasons are for better UI and packaging. While we can do a lot of that inside GRC, there's still plenty of limitations that you can do directly in Python.

I tell people to work as far as you can in GRC until you hit these kinds of boundaries where you are then bending over backwards to make it work inside GRC. At that point, save the Python file somewhere and start architecting your program around that core.

Very thorough explanation, thanks!