[Discuss-gnuradio] Help with video link

From: Alexander Buckley
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help with video link
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:42:14 +0000

Hello all,

I am completely stumped with trying to stream video using gnu radio (GRC) and the USRP. I have been at it for an absurdly long time without success. I could really use some help. (With Unbuntu and the latest UHD/GNU radio)

There has got to be someone who has done this, but so far google is not my friend.

I have read so many sites of people looking for help and being given 'help' that doesn't work, the internet is now fully spammed when it comes to this subject.

After days and days I read things like:
 'To correctly and completely use the RTP payloaders on the sender and the receiver you need to write an application. It is not possible to write a full blown RTP server with a single gst-launch-1.0 line.'
or that player 'x' isn't really player 'x' its a fork due to developers fighting and is rather broken..

Most of what I read is about streaming over a network with a constant frame rate (adaptive bit rate) which really does not relate well to USRP?

I have tried countless permutations of command line strings with various options using gstreamer, ffmpeg, vlc. mplayer
I have tried UDP and File sink/source.

I once I had it nearly working but could not get the player to stream with a constant bitrate (which i think usrp would require?). I have lost track of which player that was though.

At this point I am completely desperate for a a solution. I am looking for any solution that works (even badly).
All I am to do is put together a demo, and it is becoming clear I have no idea what I am doing. Either that or this as far far less trivial than one would think.

I would greatly appreciate some help here as this endeavour is now becoming quite expensive.

regards
Alexander Buckley