Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC] Proposal for radar toolbox (gr-radar)

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC] Proposal for radar toolbox (gr-radar)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:00:48 +0100

On 03/18/2014 03:34 PM, Stefan Wunsch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My name is Stefan Wunsch and I would like to make a proposal for GSoC
> 2014. My project of interest is the radar toolbox as mentioned on the
> wiki page on gnuradio.org.
>
> I am a fifth semester student in physics at the Karlsruhe Institute of
> Technology (KIT) in Germany. At the Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)
> I work as student research assistant in the field of radar signal
> processing, especially FMCW/FSK radar, clutter detection and object
> classification. I have started to work with GNU Radio a while ago and I
> feel that a generic radar toolbox would be a great enhancement for the
> framework.
>
> The full proposal can be found on GitHub.
>
> https://github.com/stwunsch/gsoc-proposal
>
> Any comments and feedback are appreciated before I finally upload it to
> Google Melange!

You can (and should) immediately post a link to your github on Melange!

As for the proposal, it generally looks quite good. The timeline is
pretty coarse, and quite generous... I'd recommend an iterative approach
here: Start w/ Python blocks for basic stuff, which should be done on
the order of days. Then iteratively optimize timing-critical components
during the whole thing.

Also, I think tagged streams [0] would fit well into this structure,
especially for OFDM radar. Perhaps you can think about this and update
the proposal.

Martin

[0] http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_tagged_stream_blocks.html