Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC 2014: Wireless Network in the loop

From: Asma Afzal
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC 2014: Wireless Network in the loop
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:45:58 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for your response.

Considering the timeline of GSoC, I am more interested in implementing
channel models. That way I can stick to the software domain to test and
validate my work. Also, I have frequently used Rayleigh/Ricean/Nakagami
models in MATLAB and I am familiar with the math behind them.

The available GR channel model blocks in the following link use addition of
sinusoids and filters to approximate a channel response.
 http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen-3.7/page_channels.html

I found a more accurate implementation of Rayleigh and Rician fading on GNU
radio on this link:
https://www.cgran.org/browser/projects/usrp_fading_simulator/trunk/src/lib?rev=68
It follows this paper:
http://volta.sdsu.edu/~amir/Alimohammad09aCompact.pdf

A number of other fading channels can be implemented as GR blocks.

1. Log-normal shadowing can be implemented as standard GR block to model
Large scale fading and it finds its use in a number of mobility related
applications. I have found a paper relevant to its 2D simulation:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1247814

2. Nakagami-m channel: Figure 3 of the following paper describes how
correlated samples of a nakagami-m faded channel can be generated
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=01412063

I couldn't find a GR based implementation of a basic path loss model.
A simple block implementation for path loss is necessary- for various
environments with a distance parameter (source-destination) and a parameter
of path loss exponent (range 2-5).

If the above mentioned channel impairments are successfully implemented,
they encapsulate Rayleigh, Rician, Suzuki, Composite Rician-Shadowing
environments.

Please give me your opinion about these. Is there any other specific model i
should be focusing on? What will be a sufficient goal for my GSoC? I'm not
sure if I am aiming too high at this point :).