Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC gr-gsm OOT module

From: Perper
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC gr-gsm OOT module
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:49:57 +0100

W dniu 23.02.2014 17:12, Martin Braun pisze:
> On 02/23/2014 09:39 AM, Sriram Damodharan wrote:
>> I am currently working on a proof of concept system, and for which, I
>> am using a patched version of airprobe, for GSM reception, using
>> GNURadio.
>>
>> I want to contribute along side to the mainline and would like to know
>> these, regarding GSoC:
>>
>> 1) can the proposed gr-gsm module use existing code from airprobe?
> It's not forbidden, but I doubt it makes sense -- airprobe code is
> highly convoluted and revolves around one monolithic block.
>
>> 2) Whom should I contact for further information, regarding the GSoC?
> Post questions here. Remember that org applications are not done yet --
> we might not even be participating. Although I sure hope we do :)

Hi,

Since I have written gsm-receiver for airprobe there was huge progress
made by open source community (by Osmocom, OpenBTS, UmTRX) in
implementations of different elements of GSM standard.
However in my opinion there is still enough space for a modular and
simple to understand implementation of a gsm receiver (frequency offset
correction, synchronization, channel equalization, detection) that will
take advantage of wideband hardware (wideband=whole GSM900 band) in
order to receive symbols from multiple GSM channels. There is also space
for gnuradio blocks that will implement gsm specific decoding or for a
clever application of current gnuradio blocks for this task.

I've prepared version of the gsm-receiver that doesn't have all decoding
stuff that wasn't meant to be part of the receiver. It compiles with the
newest version of GNU Radio and there are examples as well:
https://github.com/Jakotako/gr-gsm

Maybe you'll find it helpful.

Best Regards,
Piot Krysik