[Discuss-gnuradio] The GMSK demodulation

From: zhenhua han
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] The GMSK demodulation
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 22:31:46 +0800

Hi,

As I have known, GSM uses GMSK modulation which BT = 0.3 and it uses Viterbi algorithm for demodulation. And I took a look at the code of GMSK demod code in GNU Radio, it use quadrature_demod but not Viterbi as demodulation method. So which one is better in doing demodulating GMSK?

Moreover, GSM uses Viterbi algorithm to decode the convolution encoding. Would it be possible to use quadrature_demod to demodulate GSM signal instead of Viterbi? What about the convolution decoding part (maybe by some other method)?

Cheers,
Zhenhua