Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] (GSoC) MIMO stuff in GNU Radio

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] (GSoC) MIMO stuff in GNU Radio
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:10:44 -0500

Hi Zhou - I think it would be great to see how far GNU Radio can be pushed with
respect to MIMO processing.  With advances in both algorithms and multi-core
CPU raw processing capabilities, the added computational requirements for MIMO
might be realizable at some reasonable level (IIRC, they were not [for
commodity processors] back in 2007-2009 when I looked into this last).  I agree
that MIMO is in wireless networking's future; the big question is how much
anyone can accomplish in a few month's work towards getting even a basic MIMO
system working (within GNU Radio, in this case; but, really, any platform that
does not already provide such capabilities).

Your paper / research links are fine, though there must be a few more which are
more seminal works on "how to do practical MIMO" which are concise and basic.

SORA is a non-starter for many researchers; compare the number of papers on or
using SORA to those using GNU Radio ...

The GR GSoC14 website is <
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GSoC > and I encourage you
to add your proposal to the "Signal-Processing" section.  I think you should be
concise yet complete and realistic in what you think you can accomplish in a
few months of work on this topic -- for example, you're not going to be able to
implement 802.11n but you can probably come up with some basic MIMO using OFDM
PHY layer concepts which would prove useful and interesting (taking in multiple
data streams, then using MIMO to do encoding, then Tx them to a receiver, which
does Rx, decoding, and pushing out multiple data streams; with or without
feedback).  MIMO can be very complicated, so I'd encourage you to keep the
scope reasonable (yet truly MIMO).  Let me / the list know when your part is
up. - MLD