[Discuss-gnuradio] testing FLEX modems with gnuradio

From: Al Smith
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] testing FLEX modems with gnuradio
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:31:21 -0800

I am new to gnuradio and have spent the last few days reading every tutorial I can find.  I have set up both 3.7.1 and 3.6.5 in separate test environments in 2 VMs.  I am using a BladeRF SDR with dual 900MHz antenna.

I've been asked to test 2 devices which will controlled remotely over the FLEX paging network. I can see some blocks have been built into gnuradio-companion, FLEX Deinterleave and FLEX Synchronizer.  I also found some samples here https://github.com/argilo/sdr-examples but I think these were built for a different version of gnuradio possibly.  When I run the python script pager_rx.py or pager_rx_929.py it pops up with a nice waterfall display and I even get some text decoded signals in the terminal window, but within a few seconds the display goes gray and I cannot change any of the sliders and must force quit to get out.  I loaded the multi_tx.grc in gnuradio-companion just to get an idea of how to build a flow chart for FLEX, but I get some errors about missing blocks.

>>> Error: Block key "iqbalance_fix_cc" not found in Platform - grc(GNU Radio Companion)
>>> Error: Connection between blocks_add_xx_0(0) and iqbalance_fix_cc_0(0) could not be made.
sink block id "iqbalance_fix_cc_0" not in block ids
>>> Error: Connection between iqbalance_fix_cc_0(0) and blocks_add_const_vxx_1(0) could not be made.
source block id "iqbalance_fix_cc_0" not in block ids
>>> Done

If I'm going to build my own flowcharts, I'll need to know what the blocks in the existing flows are doing, but I haven't seen any good resources for that.  If I can get some of the existing scripts to run properly that might help as well.  Any suggestions on that?  Here is the output when I run the pager_rx.py

gr-osmosdr v0.1.0-66-g154c4ddd (0.1.1git) gnuradio 3.7.1
built-in source types: file fcd rtl_tcp bladerf rfspace
[bladeRF source] Using nuand LLC bladeRF #0 SN 909d...c10c FW v1.6.1 FPGA v0.0.2

According to the readme this script is meant to be used with an RTL-SDR rather than my BladeRF but it seems to detect the blade and I don't see any hardware specific modules being imported.  Am I missing something?