Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Idea of a USRP UHD block that fills gaps in trans

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Idea of a USRP UHD block that fills gaps in transmission from USRP
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:27:31 -0500

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 4:19 AM, Perper <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Interruptions transmission over Gigabit Ethernet when receiving samples
> from USRP can happen at highest data rates no matter how many tricks you
> use with your network card (I have experience with N200/N210).
>
> The loss of part of the signal results with synchronization loss in data
> transmission systems. There is possibility to handle this problem by
> catching rx_time stream tags.
>
> But there might be a solution to keep synchronization that might work
> quite well with gr-blocks that don't handle stream tags.
>
> What if USRP UHD Source gave user an option to fill all of the gaps in
> signal with exact number of lost samples (for example with zeros).
> Additionally it could produce stream tags with position and length of
> each gap so it would be easy to store a file with continuous signal
> stream paired with a file containing metadata describing where and for
> how long the signal samples were lost.
>
> Is it possible to do exactly what I'm describing with current gnuradio
> blocks?
> In my case it would often make many things I do easier.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Piotr Krysik

It seems possible. And I recall that someone else asked about this
method before, too. Honestly, though, this falls into the category of
things that "we" (the maintainers) don't have a strong interest in
doing or developing. Which just means that if you need it, experiment
with it and send us a patch if you get it to work really want to get
it into the main code.

Tom