Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] synchronization between blocks

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] synchronization between blocks
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 08:40:44 -0500

Hi Nemanja - Non-sync blocks -- ones that do not guarantee some number of
output items given some number of input items -- cannot be assumed to have
constant sample delay from input to output (or, in any other way; though they
may have this property).  This property is irrespective of what the block's
"forecast" method returns.  The GR scheduler correctly will handle whatever
data is created so long as it is <= noutput_items, irrespective of whether if
it meets the forecast or not.

In your example, you have:

Path #1 : [throttle] -> RMS -> log10 -> DELAY -> {Clock Sync}

Path #2 : [throttle] -> LPF -> QD -> IIR -> Min/Max Threshold -> {Clock Sync}

where [] is the path's source and {} is the sink for both paths and hence we
don't look at those.

If you have 1 path that uses only sync blocks, then the sample delay from the
"source" to "sink" (the blocks generating data for this path and consuming data
from this path) will be a deterministic constant.  Path #1 looks to be fully
sync to me, with a sample delay of DELAY's samples since RMS and log10 are both
1:1 (#inputs:#outputs) with no delay, and DELAY is 1:1 but with "DELAY" samples.

If you have another path (from the same source to the same sink) with a
non-sync block in it, then the sample delay in that specific path is not
guaranteed to be a deterministic constant (though it may be).  In your Path #2,
the first 3 blocks are all sync types.  If the "Min/Max Threshold" is anything
like "plateau_detector_fb", then it is not a sync block.  So, the sample delay
for LPF -> QD -> IIR will be a constant, but the Threshold block makes the
overall path non-sync.

So, because you don't have fully sync processing, you cannot just add a delay
in 1 path to get the sample delay difference to 0 -- it might work sometimes,
but it is not guaranteed to work all of the time.

There is probably a way to keep cross-path sample sync, but it won't be trivial
to implement I would guess, and it is likely application dependent.  Good luck!
- MLD

ps> Just to be complete: The "real-world clock" sample delay (time in seconds)
will not be deterministic no matter the block type (sync or non-sync).  This
value depends on the algorithm being used, the amount of data being processed,
hardware (CPU speed / type / memory / caches), and OS (affinity, real time,
context switching).