Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-fosphor : New RTSA-like visualization block fo

From: Markus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-fosphor : New RTSA-like visualization block for GNURadio using GPU acceleration
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 22:30:10 +0100

Hi Silvain,

great - thanks for your answer. I got it run now on OS X via simple macports
install. However I will follow the issue from time to time, as I think it would
be great to have beignet available for this (and other) purposes.

Also I am keen on looking into how the colored spectrum view is implemented by
you ( I have no glue and have not yet looked into it). HOWEVER: I did some
offline studies on this kind of plots a while ago in python. what I found to
look nice was the following idea:

Plot like a monochrome FFT with persistence on and where each of the line has
some alpha (even the first one). So naturally the more often a peak occurs with
the same level, the stronger (or more opaque) the point will be. Then apply a
simple jet colormap (or any other suitable colormap) to the monochrome plot. As
said, I have not looked into your code yet, chances are you are doing exactly
that.

This, by the way would not only make sense for the spectrum view, but also for
the scope as it gives some nice colored eye-diagrams.

Also I read earlier, that someone was asking about the benefit of this kind of
plot with respect to a simple FFT (with persistence). The benefit of course is
that you can see the probability distribution at frequency points of interest
(f = const-line) and that you still see single occurring events, as they will
not be very weak as in a FFT with persistence, but have some dedicated good
visible color for a while.

Markus