Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with receiving signal from satellite Thur

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with receiving signal from satellite Thuraya-3
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:45:20 +0100

Hi,

> I am trying to collect signal from Thuraya-3. Here is the setup I used:
> - USRP N210 + WBX
> - LNA with 30dB gain (ZHL-1217MLN)
> - Iridium Antenna (I don't have specific antenna for Thuraya right now.
> Since Iridium and Thuraya frequency bands are quite close, I suppose it
> would work more or less)
>
> Center frequency: 1530MHz
> Sampling rate: 10MHz
>
> From the spectrum (attached), I can see the Inmarsat signal, but no sign of
> Thuraya signal. Anyone has suggestion about how to receive the thuraya
> signal?

Several issues to improve :

 - Your antenna has the wrong polarization, this will definitely kill
your signals
 - You can also try more directional types of antenna like described
here : https://gmr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/Receiver_Setup
 - Ideally if you have some GSM1800 nearby, it's good to have a filter
as those signals tend to swamp / saturate inputs when amplified ...

fwiw, I have had some success receiving thuraya by using a GPS antenna
and just using a big metal surface as a reflector (to swap
polarization).

Cheers,

   Sylvain