Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple Versions of Libraries / Virtualenv (was:

From: Dan CaJacob
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple Versions of Libraries / Virtualenv (was: Re: PYBOMBs Testing)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:29:14 -0500

Thanks, Marcus.  It seemed too good to be true ;)

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Dan,

no, Virtualenv is "virtualenv is a tool to create isolated Python
environments." only.

For unix systems, having multiple versions of the same library is not
a problem by itself, especially since there are several environment
variables that control the behaviour of the dynamic run time linker.

A nice method to employ this is described in
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ#Experts-only-How-can-I-deliberately-install-GNU-Radio-multiple-times-different-versions
; just install your application specific libraries, headers etc into
~/.usrlocal.

Also, if you need to capsulate your system more thoroughly, consider
using chroot; although this has become less popular over the last few
years due to the fact that virtualization has become so easy.

Hope that was a little insightful. If someone comes up with something
interesting on this topic, a new thread should be started; although I
consider this problem to be of a typical linux distribution concern,
and not very much specific to GR.

Greetings,
Marcus

On 10.01.2014 16:45, Dan CaJacob wrote:
> Thanks, Tom!
>
> Digression warning: While we're on the topic, I've always wondered
> if virtualenv would help with build dependency problems and
> multiple installed versions (e.g. for devs).  I have never immersed
> myself into the tool, but I know that it is intended for things
> like this where you want to install specific package versions for a
> specific application without affecting other things on your system.
> It's a sandbox, I guess.  What I've never been clear on is whether
> it works for C/C++ applications, since it seems to be a python
> tool.  Do you have any thoughts on that?
>
> Very Respectfully,
>
> Dan CaJacob
>

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Dan CaJacob
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hey Tom,
>>>
>>> Thanks.  I didn't know how or what to search for, so that was
>>> useful. Here's the result:

>> That there confirms that the Ice 3.4.2 library is installed on
>> your system, which is what I was expecting.
>>

>>> Here's what I found in the gnuradio CMakeCache.txt file:

>> FIND_PACKAGE_MESSAGE_DETAILS_ICE:INTERNAL=[/usr/lib/libIce.so;/usr/lib/libIceUtil.so][/usr/include][v()]

Very Respectfully,