Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PYBOMBs Testing

From: Dan CaJacob
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PYBOMBs Testing
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:45:56 -0500

Thanks, Tom!

Digression warning:
While we're on the topic, I've always wondered if virtualenv would help with build dependency problems and multiple installed versions (e.g. for devs).  I have never immersed myself into the tool, but I know that it is intended for things like this where you want to install specific package versions for a specific application without affecting other things on your system.  It's a sandbox, I guess.  What I've never been clear on is whether it works for C/C++ applications, since it seems to be a python tool.  Do you have any thoughts on that?

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Dan CaJacob <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey Tom,
>
> Thanks.  I didn't know how or what to search for, so that was useful.
> Here's the result:
>
>> i   libzeroc-ice34                             - Ice for C++ runtime
>> library

That there confirms that the Ice 3.4.2 library is installed on your
system, which is what I was expecting.

>  Here's what I found in the gnuradio CMakeCache.txt file:
>
>> ICE_CONFIG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include
>> //Path to a library.
>> ICE_GLACIER2:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/libGlacier2.so
>> //Path to a library.
>> ICE_ICE:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/libIce.so
>> //Path to a library.
>> ICE_ICEGRID:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/libIceGrid.so
>> //Path to a library.
>> ICE_ICESTORM:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/libIceStorm.so
>> //Path to a library.
>> ICE_ICEUTIL:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/libIceUtil.so
>> //Path to a file.
>> ICE_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include
>> //Path to a library.
>> ICE_PTHREAD:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so
>> //Path to a program.
>> ICE_SLICE2CPP:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/slice2cpp
>> //Path to a program.
>> ICE_SLICE2PY:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/slice2py
>> //Details about finding ICE
>>
>> FIND_PACKAGE_MESSAGE_DETAILS_ICE:INTERNAL=[/usr/lib/libIce.so;/usr/lib/libIceUtil.so][/usr/include][v()]

> Very Respectfully,
>
> Dan CaJacob

And that tells us that GNU Radio is trying to build using the Ice libs
in /usr/lib, which is where apt-get would have installed ICE, so yeah,
it's trying to build off Ice 3.4.2.

You could solve this pretty easily by doing an "aptitude remove
libzeroc-ice" to get rid of Ice 3.4.2 altogether on your system. But
I'm more interested in solving this issue in general.

I've brought up a VM that has this behavior. Let me see about working
out a solution.

Tom