Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PYBOMBs Testing

From: Dan CaJacob
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PYBOMBs Testing
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 10:44:08 -0500

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 x64 and ICE version 3.5.1, I think, based on pybombs list output:

ice    installed  inventory f00c59983cc904bca977133c0a9b3e8 wget://http://www.zeroc.com/download/Ice/3.5/Ice-3.5.1.tar.gz

pybombs did successfully build ice from source.

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 10:18:20PM -0500, Dan CaJacob wrote:
>> OK,
>>
>> Here's a specific error.  Seems like it's related to ICE, which compiled
>> successfully as a dependency.
>
> Dan,
>
> can you please post your exact ICE version as well as other relevant
> system info (distro, version etc.).
>
> MB

I'll bet I can guess, the relevant parts at least. He's using Ice
3.4.2 and GCC >= 4.7. This is a nasty issue because of the default
versions of many deb packages that don't actually work together.
Either updating to Ice 3.5 or downgrading GCC to 4.6 will solve this
issue. We were hoping for a patch against Ice 3.4.2, but I don't think
that's going to happen.

Now, PyBOMBS is set to look for Ice >= 3.5, though, so we still need
more information. My guess is that you have Ice 3.4.2 installed on the
system already and for some reason, GNU Radio is finding that and not
3.5, even though the script is supposed to look for 3.5 before
anything else.

In a slight look inside the process, I think it's time I do a blunt
check for the GCC version if Ice 3.4 is found. I was holding off on
this in hopes that a) it would be fixed in Ice and b) getting the
compiler version isn't exactly simple. (Cmake does have a variable
that holds the value of the compiler version, but it's only made
available in newer versions of cmake, which we are not requiring yet,
so we can't use it). But since it's only a problem if GCC is used, I
can parse the version string from it and get the info I need. Much
better to disable ControlPort in this case than to fail during
compilation.

Tom