Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Failed Install + gr-osmosdr Troubles

From: Jacob Dickinson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Failed Install + gr-osmosdr Troubles
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:49:47 -0800

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Martin Braun (CEL) <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 08:39:57PM -0800, Jacob Dickinson wrote:
>> I then uninstalled 3.7.2.1 and installed 3.7.1.1 from the binary
>> package (gnuradio_3.7.1.1_Ubuntu-13.10-x86_64.deb). Now gnuradio
>> itself works, but when I installed the gr-osmosdr package following
>> instructions on the osmocom website, there was no trace of any of the
>> blocks in gnuradio-companion.
>
> I'm guessing that the GNU Radio files are in /usr/ and the OsmoSDR files
> are in /usr/local. In that case, GRC doesn't look for the blocks in
> /usr/local.
>
> To see if this is the problem, set the environment variable
> GRC_BLOCKS_PATH to /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks/ (or wherever
> your blocks are) and start gnuradio-companion. If this works, then you
> can statically set this path in ~/.gnuradio/config.conf (see
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GNURadioCompanion).
>
> This behaviour is already documented (Issue #606), but we get very few
> people who mix the source and binary builds.
>
>> When trying to import osmosdr directly in a python interpreter: the
>> first time I issue the import statement, I get "ImportError:
>> /usr/lib/libgnuradio-blocks-3.7.1.1.so.0.0.0: undefined symbol:
>> volk_64u_byteswap_u". As far as I can tell, libvolk is installed on my
>> machine. The second time I issue the import, the python interpreter
>> crashes with a seg fault.
>>
>> I'm not too concerned about the crashing in 3.7.2.1 unless it's easily
>> solvable or related to the second issue. The main thing I'm concerned
>> about is getting gr-osmosdr working. Any guidance on troubleshooting
>> this? I'm not familiar enough with gnuradio yet to know where to look.
>
> Well, if GNU Radio doesn't work you won't be able to use gr-osmosdr
> either. I can't think of a solution off the top of my head, though.
>
> Perhaps this is a case where pybombs might be able to help you.
> If you want to try this, do the following:
> - Uninstall everything GNU Radio- and OsmoSDR-related
> - Run
> git clone git://github.com/pybombs/pybombs
> cd pybombs
> ./pybombs install gnuradio
>
> and then
>
> ./pybombs install gr-osmosdr
>
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki/QuickStart will guide
> you.
>
> MB
>
> --
> Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
> Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)
>
> Dipl.-Ing. Martin Braun
> Research Associate
>
> Kaiserstraße 12
> Building 05.01
> 76131 Karlsruhe
>
> Phone: +49 721 608-43790
> Fax: +49 721 608-46071
> www.cel.kit.edu
>
> KIT -- University of the State of Baden-Württemberg and
> National Laboratory of the Helmholtz Association

Thanks for the info Martin! I set the environment variable and the
osmocom blocks appeared in gnuradio-companion.

When I said "I'm not too concerned about the crashing" I just meant
that I'm willing to use the earlier version (3.7.2.1) if it works
better on my system rather than debugging 3.7.2.2.

Just for fun I uninstalled everything and tried installing with
pybombs. However when it got to the step which builds
filter_swigPYTHON_wrap there was an issue:

[ 78%] Building CXX object
gr-filter/swig/CMakeFiles/_filter_swig.dir/filter_swigPYTHON_wrap.cxx.o

c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program c11plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make[2]: ***
[gr-blocks/swig/CMakeFiles/_block_swig2.dir/blocks_swig2PYTHON_wrap.cxx.o]
Error 4
make[1]: *** [gr-blocks/swig/CMakeFiles/_blocks_swig2.dir/all] Error 2
Linking CXX shared module _filter_swig.so
[ 79%] Built target _filter_swig
Linking CXX shared module _blocks_swig4.so
[ 80%] Built target _blocks_swig4
Linking CXX shared module _blocks_swig5.so
[ 80%] Built target _blocks_swig5
make: *** [all] Error 2
Error:root:PyBOMBS Make step failed for package (gnuradio) please see
bash output above for a reason (hint: look for the word Error)