Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gauging interest for an SDR PA

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gauging interest for an SDR PA
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 07:27:21 +0100

Hi,

> 50 MHz - 3 GHz bandwidth
> Class AB
> 5 - 30 VDC supply (high efficiency, high frequency boost supply)
> 10 dBm drive
> 37 dBm Psat
> Robust to full mismatch (open/short)
> Logic level enable
> ALC with VSWR monitoring (serial, I2C, etc)
> Small (cigarette pack or smaller)
> Low cost
> Open source

It does sound really neat.

However as Brian pointed out, I think on-board filtering would be a
must. I'm not even sure if just harmonic filtering is enough.

The output of all those SDR isn't necessarily the cleanest from a RF
PoV and amplifying that to 37 dBm without paying attention is
definitely a bad idea. Combine that with the fact a lot of people
buying those newer / cheaper SDR have not much RF experience ( you
know, like connecting TX output to RX input directly ) and that could
be a recipe for disaster with people broadcasting noise all over.

Then of course there is the legality aspect. Although it's pretty easy
to fit SDR into the "test equipment" category with their low power
output, a PA will definitely not fit. Not much an issue for people
building it themselves, but for sale / distribution it could be
another matter.

Cheers,

    Sylvain